GNC Mission Operations Engineer
Tyvak mission operations engineers will be involved in all aspects of the spacecraft lifetime, initial CONOPs definition, design reviews during development, oversite of final spacecraft testing and qualification, launch, commissioning, long term operations and decommissioning.
In addition to predictive and analytical work, Mission Operations Engineers will serve on-console during spacecraft activities, which may include periods of off-hours or on call work.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Monitor, assess and maintain the operational health in-orbit spacecraft. Includes defining, developing and executing pass plans, which may include spacecraft configuration changes
- Perform complex analysis to monitor the health of systems and subsystems throughout the satellites lifecycle.
- Identify, investigate, and resolve highly complex spacecraft system and subsystem deviations and anomalies.
- Lead and participate in the development of satellite operations procedures, products and processes, working directly with hardware development teams within the company.
- Develop and distribute reports summarizing technical analysis, findings and recommendations to include monthly and annual satellite health and status reports as well as anomaly resolution reports.
- Play a key role in defining and developing satellite system and subsystem requirements for ground control system and networks. This includes the development of test plans, conducting acceptance tests, and resolving issues.
- Support the development, launch, and in-orbit test of new satellites.
- Ph.D., M.S., or B.S. in engineering field with [TBD]+ years of direct experience
- Proficiency in at least one programing / scripting language (python preferred)
- Comfortable with command line environments (linux preferred)
- Strong fundamental understanding of orbital dynamics and classical mechanics
- Highly motivated, self-starting, and able to perform duties autonomously without supervision
- Good communication skills required, including the ability to express ideas clearly both verbally and in writing in time critical situations
- Passion for the NewSpace industry
- US Citizenship Required, and the ability to obtain a US security Clearance
- Expertise in one or more specific spacecraft subsystems, and willingness to become proficient in all spacecraft subsystems.
In addition, to the above, operators are expected to be proficient in one of the following focus areas.
Operators with a focus in GNC will be expected to:
- Prepare / review maneuver plans for time critical spacecraft orbit adjustment
- Propose / review spacecraft configuration changes, specifically focused on the GNC system
- Perform quick turn simulations / analysis to validate commands
Operators with a focus in Data Analysis will be expected to:
- Examine large data sets with the goal of predicting anomalies before they develop
- Develop new metrics to assess spacecraft health
- Use statistical methods to compare datasets and detect changes in underlying physical processes
- Work with hardware development teams to assess appropriate telemetry limits for components, and validate their use
- Investigate spacecraft telemetry anomalies to determine route cause (including schematic review)
- Direct and participate in ground testing to match observed conditions
Operators with a focus in Electrical/Power Systems will be expected to:
Salary and benefits are market competitive.
- 100% paid PPO medical benefits plan for eligible employees + family.
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
- Terran Orbital/Tyvak is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, veteran status, disability status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.
Do you have a LinkedIn account? Import your resume and save time!