FEA/Structural Engineer - Space Vehicles
Tyvak Nano-Satellite Systems, a Terran Orbital Corporation company, is seeking new members to join the structural analysis team. Tyvak focuses exclusively on developing components and subsystems into highly-integrated and custom nano-satellite vehicles. The Team’s skillset ranges from architecture, design, build, and testing of major mechanical, electrical, and software subsystems integrated into small spacecraft.
You will join a collaborative team to develop innovative pico-, nano-, and micro-satellite vehicle solutions for multiple projects and programs. You’ll be responsible for hardware development during all phases of a development cycle, including requirements, design, analysis, implementation, test, integration, and documentation in a fast-paced environment. It is expected that the individual will have an ability and desire to learn, grow, and discover continuously.
- Working in a small team environment closely with mechanical, electrical, and system engineers to develop optimal solutions to complex problems
- Participating in hardware requirements generation, design, analysis, implementation, and testing discussion with multiple team members
- Develop procedures, analysis and/or test plans and/ or reports
- Participating in team discussions involving vehicle arrangement and design/ analysis for ongoing and future projects
- Maintaining and updating the finite element models (FEM) database from CAD software
- Performing FE analysis including but not limited to: static, dynamic, linear, non-linear and transient for complex vehicle systems for variety of materials (isotropic, orthotropic, composites and non-linear) used in space industry
- Conducting dynamic vibration, shock, HALT and HASS testing on mechanical components/ systems and perform data correlation using FE analysis
- Interfacing with vendors to collect inputs required for analysis and tests
- Working in both an office and lab environment
- BS or MS in Mechanical, Aerospace, or equivalent degree required
- Minimum 5 years of experience working in space, aerospace or equivalent professional environments
- Minimum of 3 years of direct hands-on experience performing FE analysis on mechanical/ electrical complex systems
- Candidate must have deep knowledge and understanding of finite element analysis theory and applicable formulas to perform simple hand calculations and sanity checks before conducting detailed analysis
- Candidate must have previous experience working directly with shaker tables and familiar with instrumentation, data acquisition and data correlation with previously performed FE analysis
- Ability in working with CAD modeling software SolidWorks is preferred
- Familiarity with MSC Software package (Apex, PATRAN & NASTRAN) is preferred
- Knowledgeable and proficient in applying advanced engineering principles
- Quick to grasp abstract problems and creative in visualizing solutions
- Productive in craftsmanship and attentive to detail
- Ability to document complex analysis/ test procedures and reports with attention to detail
- Good communication with team members, and ability to provide and receive constructive criticism
- Ability working with flight hardware in a controlled environment a plus
- Machine shop experience highly desirable
Salary and benefits are market competitive.
100% paid PPO medical benefits plan for eligible employees + family.
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Terran Orbital/Tyvak is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, veteran status, disability status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.