Senior Radar Systems Engineer
Tyvak Nano-Satellite Systems Inc., a Terran Orbital company, is seeking a motivated and experienced RF Systems Engineer at our Irvine, CA location. Tyvak is a leading worldwide provider of nanosatellite and microsatellite vehicles, services, and solutions to Commercial and Government customers. You will be part of a collaborative team developing innovative pico-, nano-, and micro-satellite vehicle solutions for multiple projects. You’ll be responsible for Tyvak’s RF systems across active programs, and help guide the development of new RF systems supporting Tyvak and our customers mission needs.
- Define requirements across Tyvak’s active programs for RF Systems, including UHF, S, X, and Ka Band radio, and various RF payload subsystems.
- Define RF system test cases that can be automated in order to validate integrated space qualified RF systems in production
- Assist with the development of dynamic link budgets for satellite systems including calculating noise figures, G/T and equivalent isotropically radiated power (EIRP) based on system losses, and antenna performance
- Model coverage and perform coverage analysis for satellite systems
- Rapid and effective problem solving at all stages of development
- Assist with the definition and performance analysis of ground support equipment for integration and test of flight hardware and in support of ground station development
- BS or MS in EE or equivalent degree required
- Experience using standard electronics equipment required: oscilloscope, power supply, multi-meter, logic analyzer
- Experience using specialized RF equipment: spectrum analyzer, vector network analyzer, power meter, signal generator
- A solid foundation in antenna theory
- Experience developing deployable antenna elements
- Experience developing omnidirectional, and highly direction antennas from UHF through Ka-Band.
- Experience with antenna simulation, and antenna tuning from UHF through Ka-Band
- Experience with link budget analysis to support system design trades
- Experience developing cost-effective test setups for antenna functional checkouts
- Experience operating anechoic chambers for antenna design verification
- Ability to work methodically in a lab environment to maintain cleanliness and organization
- Methodical RF and EMI debug skills
- Understanding of best practices to reduce EMI in a system design
- Comfortable working within a Linux command line environment, or willing to learn
- Experience with Labview test automation and data analysis using MatLab / Python
- Candidates shall be a U.S. person who is a lawful permanent resident as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20) or who is a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
Salary and benefits are market competitive.
- 100% paid PPO medical benefits plan for eligible employees + family.
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Terran Orbital/Tyvak is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, veteran status, disability status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.