Senior Mechanical Engineer - Space Vehicles
Tyvak Nano-Satellite Systems, a Terran Orbital Corporation company, is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our Space Vehicle Mechanical Engineering team. Tyvak specializes in the development of technologies optimized to enable state-of-the-art comprehensive spacecraft & mission solutions. Tyvak’s multidisciplinary engineering staff is responsible for end-to-end development cycles encompassing design, analysis, production, test and operational support.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for spacecraft and component structures capable of withstanding launch vehicle and space environments. You will also be responsible for high-reliability mechanisms including locking hinges, actuators, reaction wheels, and gimballed mechanisms. Associated design efforts will include mass optimization, vibration attenuation, tuned thermal properties and passive or active thermal control accommodations. Design for machinability, test and assembly will be predominant design requirements. You will have support from a wide breadth of engineering disciplines including structural and thermal analysts. You will also have at your disposal onsite vibration, TVAC, HASS/HALT environmental test facilities; a Tyvak owned machine shop equipped with new-model Haas CNC machines and supporting staff; and metrology equipment including x-ray CT scan, automated 3D precision measurement gantry and a precision multi-component dynamometer.
- Mechanical design of space vehicles and space vehicle components including mechanisms
- End-to-end design cycle technical responsibility
- Generate, maintain and update 3D model database and 2D drawings
- Generate, maintain and update design documentation
- Perform work in an office, lab and cleanroom environment
- First-order static and dynamic analysis of structure assemblies
- First-order thermal analysis
- Generation of test plans for design verification and test oversight
- Participation in hardware requirement generation in collaboration with multiple team members
- Collaborative design of vehicle configuration
- Peer review design work and mentor junior mechanical engineers
- Generate technical content in support of internal and external design reviews
- 5+ years of experience designing complex mechanisms and structures
- Experience in space applications is highly desirable
- BS or MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Expert proficiency in SolidWorks CAD tool
- Working knowledge of GD&T and ability to apply GD&T
- Knowledgeable of advanced engineering principles
- High attention to detail; ability to preempt design/manufacturing/procurement issues
- Ability to work in a fast-paced multidisciplinary team
- Ability to work efficiently when supporting multiple efforts
- Excellent communication skills
- Proficient in the use of shop tools and precision inspection equipment
- Per the requirement of certain Tyvak facilities, applicant must be eligible to obtain and maintain a U.S. TS/SCI Security Clearance and all special accesses required to work at such facilities.
- Competitive health benefits, including 100% Company Paid Medical PPO plan for Employees and Dependents
- Generous Paid Company Holiday schedule
- Paid Time Off Package
To comply with U.S. Government space technology export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Terran Orbital/Tyvak is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin/ethnicity, age, veteran status, disability status, mental or physical disability, or any other legally protected status.